Ever wondered what it takes to run and build a campsite?

Here's a glimpse into the past 12 months.  We keep a log of the main things happening to do with camp - it doesn't include everything but is a great reminder of the work we've done over the year!  A lot of it is spent in front of computer for our Exec Team!

1st April - 26th April

  • 1st - Ste planted 6 oaks and Green beech

  • 2nd - Mike and Ste cut large field and strimmed round trees

  • 3rd - Matt and Dan borrowed barrel at lunch, Mike and Ste cut large field and strimmed round trees

 

27th April - 26th May

  • Begun to remove pines to accommodate re-siting of containers

  • Begun to spray main field to remove grass

  • Took small Kubota to be looked at by Birchalls - verdict?  Broken beyond repair

  • Large Kubota bearing issues?

  • All areas of grass now under control

  • Padlock on New Barrier damaged (2nd time in a month)

  • Mike, Ste and Dasa created new site

 

27th May - 30th June

  • Large tractor maintenance, coolant, grease and oil

  • Push mowers serviced (oil)

  • Mike set up online forms / payment emails to Sarah

  • Business rate rebate email sent to David Harvey - thanks Haydn!

  • Mike received SCC email - £1,000 rebate - Ste authorised and is now in bank account

  • Audit and tidy up of all existing fuel and oil.  Removal of old liquids

  • Confirmed attendance for all staff members agreeing to follow new Covid-19 guidance

  • Draft lawnmower options drawn up

  • Begun tidy up of pines area ready for Josh to come and begin removal of soil etc.

  • New campsite regulations received from Mike

  • £510 paid to Peel L&P for rent owed

  • Promoted Standing Order donations for Hollinwood (Hollinwood Heroes)

 

30th June - 28th July​

  • Another invoice from Peel - check with Treasurer what's happening

  • Sent Camp Report to County covering April 1st 2019 - March 31st 2020

  • Contacted new communications team

  • Email from Group re large work party weekend in Sept??

  • Contacted by a new member who is coming down on July 18th​

  • Accepted offer of spare double sink

  • £191.00 of donations since 26th June - unsure as yet as to whether these will be ongoing

  • Paid a further £400+ to Peel Land and Property

  • Mike and Ste meeting with Haydn Worrall to discuss reopening

 

29th July - 1st September

  • New bridge built

  • Contacted Salford Rangers who gave Ste an email address

  • Met Rob onsite with GPS. Datum points are 20 metres out... Ste and Mike to contact Architect

  • Online meeting with camp managers

  • Next day GM on Red alert and therefore no f2f scouting…

  • Lock removed from barrier.  Ste contacted Peel

    • Peel to replace with combi lock but no word as of 21.8.21

  • Contacted Work Party group to rearrange work party weekend to Spring 2021

  • Emailed (RHS) to request items from building works

  • Emailed High Sheriff's fund (GMP) to see about large grant request

    • Application submitted 21.8.20

    • Application for £3,500 - need to fund a further £3,965 to meet quote price

    • Approval meeting is happening in November

  • Emailed RHS about GGB

    • Received reply.  Reconnect in early 2021.  Like idea of Living Willow structure

  • Missing tools

  • Spoke to ex-MEN journalist re story about Hollinwood

 

2nd September - 29th Sept

  • Applying for Selco grant

  • Jobs for autumn now on the board - is there a better way of getting input from team?  Committee meetings?

  • Final grass cutting taking place this month

  • Oak trees delivered.  Who from?!

  • Salford grass cuttin contact cancelled due to illness

  • Exec member has been in touch to say that Peel are wanting to meet.  Arranging asap

  • Ste and Mike met with Peel and Contractor on 24.09.20

    • Peel are going to clear the ditch around the west perimeter

    • And have begun to cut back the grass etc.   They will remove small trees to enable fence

    • Maintenance is then up to us

    • M and M are available to hire in the future

    • Elecs coming from Neighbouring farm

    • Water coming via conduit over Moorings bridge probably

    • Topo guys will peg out the car park (smaller than originally planned but keeps the nice paths etc as agreed with Mike and Ste - losing grass median)

    • Peel happy with putting containers in area that we think is necessary

    • Topo guys also pegging out boundaries at canal side??

    • Car Park to be finished by Nov.  £10 per tonne and there is already 3,000 tonnes down!?!

    • Will put in a pipe - supplied by us - to future proof car park

      • Mike has priced up 60m of twin wall pipe £294.18 - paid for by Hollinwood Hero donations

    • Edge of car park will be 3 or 4 feet from line of stakes currently in place

  • Scouting exempt from government guidance and as such is on AMBER level - 25th Sept

    • See meetings and associated actions with other campsites

    • Other than risk assessments what else do we need to do to 'open'

    • Tape of construction areas plus other

    • QR posters downloaded and printed

 

30th Sept - 2nd Nov

  • Ste, and other exec team met with Peel 12th October

    • To agree date of pegging out of car park

    • And agreed to share monthly updates from now on (See Peel email)

  • 10 harras fencing panels from Team

  • Bonfire cancelled

  • Ste and Mike have been absent for a few weeks.  Ste with holiday, quarantine and house renovations, Mike with holiday and quarantine.  Sorry about this, will be back soon

  • Cycle shelter roofing is progressing

  • GM in tier 3 - hasn't affected Scouting since the last update

    • However, please be aware that we must keep to current guidelines i.e. no more than 6 people meeting on site

  • GMP using the site more regularly - please keep this in mind

  • Awarded GMP grant.  Cheque in post (£3,500)

  • Unity Insurance forms completed and sent

 

3rd Nov - 23rd Nov

  • Crew

    • Lockdown has meant we have had to suspend staff visits until Dec 2nd at the earliest (apart from security checks)

  • Car Park has started!

    • Contractor is filling in car park footprint

    • Drainage pipe ordered, paid for (Mike), and delivered onto site (Thanks Matt M for collecting)

    • As well as lighting ducting

    • Contractor has plans and will install

  • Fundraising

    • £3.5k cheque (GMP) paid in by Treasurer

  • Website and Newsletter

    • Bought plan to create website @ £4.00 per month up until 17.11.2022

    • Ste to put expenses claim in for 1-off payment for website

    • Now need to build, edit, promote the website

  • Surveying

    • Boundary markers now finalised with metal stakes in place.  Please do not remove!

    • Measured out full extent of compound area

      • Including marking out western corners of Wardens' and Phase 1 building.

      • Middle culvert likely to be the back entrance to compound

      • Need to clear, tidy, level, begin hedging off this area asap

  • Next Peel update on 25th November but….

    • CARBON FOOTPRINT – looking for places to plant trees.  One idea is for the fence alongside the ditch.  Carbon footprint, 3,000 trees  6 trees per metre.  Native species 1 and 2 year old

  • RHS - Greening Great Britain

    • Other useful things to send through ASAP would be (mandatory for GGB groups):

      • Evidence of landowners permission

      • A copy of your current Public liability insurance if relevant

25th Nov - 2nd Feb 2021

  • Peel update received.  Need to share before meeting OR go through during meeting

  • Exec committee have decided to decline the offer of the 3,000 trees from Peel

  • Friday 27th Nov

    • Deer-gate

    • 2x public announcements from Peel about culling 10 Roe deer in fenced-off area of RHS site (Middlewood)

    • Almost 2k comments on social media

    • Petition set up with over 5k signatures within 3 days

    • Councillors signed letters denouncing actions

    • Robin Garrido on BBC / ITV reports

    • Hollinwood post about relocating deer seen by over 14,000 people

    • Shared by Barbara Keeley

    • Emailed all the ward councillors, Paul Dennet, Barbara Keeley and Richard Green

      • Replies from BK and KG and Richard Green

    • Spoke with RHS who are meeting Ste and Mike after Christmas

  • Spoke to Environment Agency to report incident of flooding

    • See email from 5th Jan 2020 for response

    • Next steps are:

      • Board of arbitration

      • Have contacted contractor about a quote to clear pond area

  • Spoke to RHS

    • Requested that we push GGB grant back to autumn 2021

    • Unclear at this stage how we build a living willow structure for £500

    • Advised RHS that Hollinwood would NOT be able to find extra money to complement

    • Think of other ideas in the meantime

  • Exec shared £1,000 Unity prize on Crew Page - No update as far as we know (Feb 2021)

  • Met with RHS Bridgewater at Middlewood

    • Agreed to offer on long-term loan the Mosaic (currently in storage)

  • Met RHS at Hollinwood

    • Discussed potential of Hollinwood

    • And also the relocation of Roe Deer at the wood

  • I-Beam from Team member (many thanks!)

  • Spoke with Charity-Fundraising Ltd

    • £13 ROI

    • £5k budget

  • Tractor

    • Sharrocks service booked in.

  • Risk assessment update

  • Fencing quote

    • £4k circa - needs approval

  • Mike and Ste spoke to Fundraising contact

 

3rd Feb - 23rd Feb

  • Drainage pipe under car park - seems to have worked for now

    • Need to think about chamber, inspection pit, ancillary drainage etc and build over summer

  • Lighting ducts NOT yet installed as of 22.02.20

  • Reunion on Feb 20th has been postponed

  • Mike met the fencing company for a 2nd quote for palisade-style fencing

  • Website ready to go live

    • Bookings form needs tweaking

    • Teams photos to be updated

  • Have emailed SAGE

  • Tractor serviced

    • Oil filter needed and is being dropped off (Or could be Air Filter?!)

    • Oils, radiator etc. topped up

    • Small tractor has a cracked engine block and needs selling/scrapping

    • Flail is okay - will need new blades next year

  • New small tractor needed

  • Fencing - £8,159.00 - Go ahead from Committee to spend money

 

24th Feb - 31sr Mar

  • Paid £1,700 to fencing contractor

  • Perimeter ditches now cleared

  • Agreed containers to go on Car Park (these are to be single use)

  • Emailed Peel to tell them about cable

    • Architect picking up with Peel - as middle lighting is not going to be needed then this is the reason the cabling was not out under the car park

    • Architect suggested that the cabling COULD be run at the back of some fencing and hidden under conduit

    • Team believe that canteenering lights is possible (see above)

  • RHS supplies were picked up - great team effort!

  • Launched website

  • Received notification about return to outdoor scouting (groups of 15) by March 29th 2021

  • Expenses for toilet

  • Booking form nearly complete

  • Funding meeting moved to Wednesday 10th March 2021

    • Funding applications continue

    • Submitted Duchy of Lancaster grant application for £2,000 (will be assessed in June)

    • Funder contact suggested a seminar (hosted by him and with input from Mike and Ste) in mid April

  • Met Councillors online March 10th

  • Submitted Manchester Guardian Society application

  • Filmed Rotary video submission for £1,000 for new tractor

  • Contacted Fay @ Salford re funding